Amanda's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

F 50x66
Oct 19, 2011

bookshelves: mystery, swoon-central

Deanna Raybourn is one of the only authors I auto-buy, with good reason: she is full of awesome. As long as she continues to write about Lady Julia and her private enquiry agent husband Brisbane, I will be there with bells on.

This is the fifth installment in this mystery series featuring a husband and wife team of mystery solvers, though Brisbane is infinitely more adept at it than Julia. There's some gothic elements, some gypsy exoticness, lovely romance, and quirky humor. The Dark Enquiry even offered a rare "facial treatment" joke that shocked a surprised laugh out of me. What pulls me in again and again are 1) the Victorian England atmosphere, done beautifully by the author, and 2) Julia and Brisbane themselves. Their chemistry is off the charts, and their relationship woes are surprisingly realistic. Although nothing may ever reach the heights of the first three books in the series for me, as for as tension and romantic angst, this series is one of my favorites and I will read anything Deanna Raybourn deigns to put out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.