Joy's Reviews > The Girl in the Lighthouse

1934818
Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fiction, kindle
Read from October 19 to 20, 2011

While I was truly interested in some of the characters in this story and I enjoyed the New England, lighthouse setting in the first half of the book, I had a lot of problems with The Girl in the Lighthouse.

The narrative is tedious, uneven, and the big "shocks" were not very shocking at all because of the slow build-up. I was frustrated by the narrator's voice because it seemed an older Lillian told the story (since she alluded to things not yet to happen), yet sounded immature and childish. There is very little connection between the first and second halves of the book. I assume that there was so much of Lillian's childhood at the lighthouse because those characters will be revisited in the sequel, but this really seemed like two separate books in one. I’m also confused about the use of ghosts in the story; are they important?

I wanted to like this book, but found myself disappointed. I don’t know that I’ll read any other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Lighthouse.