Sarah's Reviews > Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself

Love at First Bark by Julie Klam

Nov 02, 11

Read from October 19 to November 02, 2011

I must admit, the adorable puppy on the cover of this book drew me to reading the story. And, like the cover, the memoir is just as cute. Julie Klam has a warmth to her writing that is friendly and inviting which engaged me from the beginning; a good thing since there is not much talk of dog rescue in the first two stories.

The book is for people looking to read about the life of a dog rescuer in New York City, with appearances of dog rescues. We learn about family, marriage, and the struggles that dog rescue brings to each aspect of a rescuer's life - it is only by the middle of the first story that dog rescue comes in to play.

Although I enjoyed reading the first two stories of the book, it is the third that won me over. Julie gives a first-hand look at dog rescue and the state of shelters, in post-Katrina, New Orleans. For this chapter alone the novel is well worth picking up for any animal lover. It almost spurs a person on to want to help poor animals in need - and the humour and warmth that Julie brings to the story makes it that much better.

I mean, where else could you learn to love an incontinent dog, and a feral puppy with a jar stuck on its head?

The only issue I had with the book is that I thought the first two stories would focus more on dog rescues rather than the life of a dog rescuer. So, as long as you don't expect to be reading about dogs the entire book, then the stories are worth a read.

Dogs are a human's best friend and Julie clearly reminds us that we need to be their best friend. The unconditional love she shows the dogs she fosters only demonstrates the kind of love and courtesy all dogs in the world need. It's up to us to give it to them, despite our hectic family and working life... just like Julie and other rescuers do every day.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love at First Bark.