Elaine's Reviews > Brethren

Brethren by Robyn Young

Oct 30, 11

The first of what is proving to be a well planned and researched trilogy documenting the time of the third Crusade. The characters are spilt into various groups. Will, one of the protagonists, begins the novel as a sergeant (a trainee Knight Crusader), and we learn much of the organisation by following Will's training. He is motivated by following in his father's footsteps, and this lends a depth and pathos to his ambitions. We also have insights into the role of the Hospitallers, another section of the Crusaders, so are overall given a good understanding of their motivations. Alongside this we are also party to the corresponding "infidels" led by Baybar, who are striving to rid their lands of the Crusaders. Again, Young has researched this group very well, and we learn much about their history and ambitions.

Will and several of his colleagues are drawn into a deep plot which is fomenting amongst a sect of the Crusaders, and this makes for exciting reading. Double crossings and betrayals abound, which move the novel along at a good pace-despite it's length, it never actualy felt as if it were a "long" novel, as there was so much action and information to assimilate.

The conclusion of the novel comes at a crucial moment, leaving the way open for the second insstallment "Crusade"-which I will be reading as soon as I buy it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brethren.