Michele's Reviews > The Red Garden

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

Oct 19, 11

Read in October, 2011

While I enjoyed each individual story, the 2-star rating comes mostly from the frustration I had due to the fact that the stories were just far apart enough in time and with just similar enough names (given names as well as surnames) that I was never sure who was related to whom and what the lineage was. Two things that could have helped with this would have been a) to make the stories just a bit closer in time, historically, or b) to provide a family tree chart at the front of the book. Or both. As it was, I eventually stopped trying to connect everyone, but it detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book. I especially liked how "Dead Husband's Meadow" became "Husband's Meadow" and eventually "Band's Meadow" and wished there had been more references like this. "Harry's Bear" was mentioned once, and could have been a great place name to see a century later, but we never heard it again. Red Garden had a lot more potential than it delivered, ultimately, and I was a bit disappointed in it because I usually have a much stronger connection to Alice Hoffman's books. My two favorites remain Blue Diary and The River King.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Garden.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gina CH I love the book so far and two stars is bit low, but I agree a family tree in front of the book would have been helpful, but I think she didn't do it because it would have been so hard to make. So many of the characters had children from outsiders that there would have "technically" had branches all over the place. It would have to be big! lol. If you have ever read 100 years of solitude that has a family tree in the front because otherwise you'd totally be lost. I love River King and Blue Diary too. My other fav is The Story Sisters.

Kristen I may go ahead and write my own review on this book....forgive me if it sounds a lot like yours....I agreed with you on every point. If I try another by this author I will read one of the two you mentioned.

Dannie I agree.

Allison Your review was so spot-on, I don't feel I need to add much more. However I gave the book 4 stars because of the pleasure of her luminous writing