Emily WilowRaven's Reviews > Angel Burn

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly

Jan 31, 15

bookshelves: own, netgalley, bea-2011, signed-personal, hardcover, shelfcheck
Read in July, 2011

Angel Burn's take on angels is very different. They are paranormal creatures but not heavenly. They aren't from our world, at least I don't think they are, and the world they come from isn't explained very much. I don't really know what this world is but it's not heaven and God doesn't live there. And angels are really more like life-force sucking demons then harp playing embodiments of all that is good.

So! From the very beginning, Angel Burn, like I said, is different! I happen to like this. I liked the evil angels aspect, I liked the characters and I enjoyed the story.

The complete lack of mainstream thoughts on God or religion did confused me a little. There is no talk of heaven or God in Angel Burn and for a book focused solely around the existence of angels that was a little weird. And it's not like the term angel was given to these creatures and they are in fact something else paranormal. They are presented as being actual angels. The same angels that humans have been writing about and believing in forever.

Then there is the romance between Willow and Alex. Have to say - it wasn't what I expected. It actually wasn't love at first sight, I can't possibly live without you even though I just met you love. It was more then 300 pages into the book before they admitted to even liking each other. So, that was refreshing. But then, things progressed a little fast. I didn't mind because I really liked Willow and Alex as characters and I thought they were actually very sweet together. AND! No love triangles!

Angel Burn was hard to put down at times and I have to say, I didn't quite see that ending coming. As the first in a trilogy, I'm very excited to see what happens to Willow as she discovers more of her past and tried to make a future for herself. I'm a big fan of fantasy and paranormal angel stories and I wasn't disappointed with Angel Burn. A great YA paranormal read and I wouldn't have any problems recommending.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Burn.