Marleen's Reviews > Mudbound

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from November 28 to December 02, 2011

Aren’t there times you wish you could give a book more than 5 stars? Like The Help or The Kitchen House, this is one of those books I guess which will continue to resonate, and linger in the mind. It's told by each character in turn, so we hear lots of different voices as the tale progresses, and we can witness the way they see the events unfolding. It reads a bit like a thriller, where the tension is building up and you know something bad is going to happen.
It's set in the Delta (Mississippi) just after World War Two. We experience that in the Deep South of the USA little had changed since the abolition of slavery.
It’s powerful and dramatic and so well-written that it was hard to put down. This is an impressive first novel. Hilary Jordan did a fantastic job giving these characters a real voice, letting them speak in their specific languages. I could hear Hap and Florence and it was like they were talking directly to me.
To me Ronsel is the real hero and I hope that all the "could have beens" at the end turn out to become reality for this exceptional young man.
If you are looking for a beautiful, human, intelligent and gripping read, look no further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mudbound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joan Norris Miller I read both the books you reference above, along w/ Mudbound, and thought I would recommend "The Last Runaway" by Tracy Chevalier to you.

Marleen Thank you for your recommendation Joan. I will certainly check it out.