Auntee's Reviews > Whisper No Lies

Whisper No Lies by Cindy Gerard

Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, gerard-black-ops, 2009_reads, keepers
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a good, hot, emotional romantic suspense
Read in November, 2009 , read count: 2

Ahhhh...there aren't enough superlatives to adequately express how much I loved this book! You know how it is when you're reading a book and everything just 'clicks' for you? You love the characters, you love the dialogue, you love the supporting characters, you love the plot...you even love (to hate) the villain? And you don't want to put it down--in fact, you can't find a good place to stop when you have to (when life gets in the way), but you try to draw it out and make the book last as long as possible? That's how this one was for me--I loved everything about it, and it even made me tear up at the end.

Whisper No Lies is book #3 in Cindy Gerard's fantastic Black Ops series, and while they are all excellent, this one is my personal favorite, largely due to the characters of flirty adonis Johhny Duane Reed and brave little spitfire and one kick-ass heroine, Crystal Debrowski. I could not get enough of these two! Chemistry? They had it in spades! Passion? Oh yeah! Fearlessness? Both had it, except when it came to love. Crystal had big time trust issues involving good looking, sweet-talking men, and Johnny--due to some crappy parenting, had lots of problems with emotional intimacy. The characters first meet in the previous book, Take No Prisoners,(Crystal is Abbie's best friend, Johnny works with Sam at Black Ops) and we get a hint of their combustible chemistry and what's to come.

Crystal is a security manager in a Las Vegas casino, although she'd much rather be a cop, like her well-respected retired cop Dad. But since she couldn't pass the police physical (hearing loss in one ear), this 5 foot, curvy, red-headed dynamo with a pixie face (nicknamed 'Tinkerbell' or 'Tink', by Johnny) has to be content taking care of security business and fending off come-ons from overly amorous guests at the Las Vegas casino where she works. Despite her petite stature, Crystal has no trouble handling herself, until she meets one customer who is unwilling to take 'no' for an answer... Mr. Yao Long, 5'4", Asian ancestry, and with a bodyguard to do his 'propositioning' (he wants Crystal to be his 'sex slave'), doesn't appear all that threatening, but ahhh, appearances can be deceiving. You just don't say 'no' to Mr. Yao. And live to tell about it.

Well, Crystal's refusal to Mr. Yao lands her in a heap of trouble. The powerful Yao (uh-oh, he's an international crime lord, involved in everything shady from illegal arms trafficking to human trafficking) proceeds to wreck Crystal's career, ultimately landing her in jail when $200,000 is missing under her watch at the casino. Of course Crystal doesn't realize that the slimy Yao is bent on her destruction-- he was just another unpleasant blip on her men-I-would-never-date radar. So when Crystal turns to Sam and Abbie for help, Sam is able to learn that Yao is the one behind Crystal's troubles. But before he and Johnny Duane Reed (Crystal's bed partner-when-he's-in-town) can figure out how to get Crystal out of her predicament, she's abducted by the obsessive Yao's henchmen and taken to be part of his 'personal harem' in Jakarta, Indonesia, where the powerful Yao's influence stretches far and wide.

Johnny's not going to let Crystal go down in flames or become a part of Yao's smarmy operations, and he high-tails it to Jakarta to save his lady. But while he's able to save Crystal in a daring rescue, will he be able to save the other girls (one who's a daughter of a military general) who are being held against their will and part of Yao's human trafficking network? Will the addition of Johnny's teammates from Black Ops Inc. help to defeat Yao? Will they be able to rescue the general's daughter and make a small dent in his vast human trafficking network? Will Johnny and Crystal's relationship develop beyond the 'we're-just-having-some-hot-sex' stage? And will Johnny, Crystal and the BOIs be able to get out of Jakarta alive or will Yao's power and influence be too much for them?

Action, this book had plenty of action, and it was very well done and quite believable. CG's words were so descriptive, from the heat and humidity when Johnny and Crystal were running through the streets of Jakarta to avoid Yao's men, to the scenes where the guys were formulating a plan to take down Yao and assembling all their weaponry. Everything was clearly spelled out and I was able to follow along very easily and every tension filled moment made me feel like I was there--or at least imagining it as a movie.

Characterization? Probably the best part of the book. From CG's physical descriptions of the characters...Crystal knew what men saw when they looked at her: sex on a stick. Pixie features, spiky red hair, and fairy-green eyes. Showgirl breasts and round hips that swayed to a sultry beat when she walked and drew heartbreakers and bizarros from the four corners of the earth.... And of Johnny..Hair too long and too blond. Eyes too sexy and too blue. Body too buff, ego in danger of liftoff. Standing there in his tight, faded jeans, painted on T-shirt, and snakeskin boots, he looked like God's guilty gift. Trouble was, he knew it. Gerard has a way of painting a picture, not just physically, but emotionally too. The reader gets a clear picture of where the characters are at emotionally in their lives--why Crystal doesn't really trust men--why she expects them to leave her once they get what they want from her, why she now keeps her emotions in check and Johnny at bay, and why she (and her heart)eventually just can't resist the charming and needs-some-real- lovin' Johnny. Gerard's depiction of Johnny and why he's not the over confident, happy-go-lucky charmer that he wants the world to see, was a real eye-opener. To see a guy that has so much to offer think so little of himself, well, at times it brought a tear to my eyes. When he said "I've never...never been anyone's best thing before.", it just about broke my heart. Crystal needed Johnny just as much as he needed her, and it was a beautiful thing to watch their relationship blossom from 'sex buddies' to I-can't-live-without-you. (I loved the gift Johnny gave to Crystal near the end and how unsure he was that she'd like it--what a sweetheart!) They had some romantic, tender moments together (as well as some scorch-the-sheets sexual interludes), and I was just praying that they would get the nerve up to recognize that they were in love, were meant to be, and to embrace it.

I could go on and on about this one, but I'll just sum it up to say if you like romantic suspense that has plenty of easy-to-follow, big screen heroic action, a smarmy villain, a cast of lovable, charismatic supporting characters who need their own stories told, and most importantly a couple who grows emotionally and that you can respect and root for, you'll want to read this book. I don't know how Cindy Gerard is going to top this one, but I'll give Feel the Heat a try next. I'm not ready to stop with this series yet! 5 big stars
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper No Lies.

11/05 page 1
11/06 page 105
31.34% "Soooo good..." 7 comments
11/07 page 164
48.96% "Really moving fast..."
11/08 page 240
71.64% "Just loving Johnny and Crystal..."
11/08 page 335
100.0% "Fantastic in all respects. Review coming..."
08/03 page 180
54.0% "Just had to reread this one..." 3 comments
08/04 page 335
100.0% "Even better the second time around..."
05/03 marked as: read

Kathrynn Ack! Was this available? I ran through some of mine that are scheduled to release on or about 12/30 and must have missed this one. Dang it! Crap, Darn, Heck.

I'll keep my eyes out for it, now. LOL

Auntee I needed one to bump the total over $25 and saw this one available a little early. Don't worry, it will probably be out in the stores before I even receive it!:)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Aww, man. Am I missing out on another great author I've never heard of? LOL

Auntee That would be a 'yes'...:)

Kathrynn Oh, yes, Audball.

message 6: by Dina (new)

Dina I didn't notice this until now, but I don't like the guy on the cover of this book. That moustache, ugh!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It's kind of dastardly villain mustache, isn't it? That or a Spanish grandee. LOL.

message 8: by Auntee (last edited Nov 06, 2009 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee He looks better in person.:) What am I saying? The book looks better in person!:) Actually, the guy in the story in very blond, and it takes him days to show some stubble...

message 9: by Dina (new)

Dina Very blond... as in, platinum blonde like Bones? ;)

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Do you mean to say you've met this fellow, Auntee? *waggles brows*

Auntee new_user wrote: "Do you mean to say you've met this fellow, Auntee? *waggles brows*"

Oh yeah, I wish!:)

Auntee Dina wrote: "Very blond... as in, platinum blonde like Bones? ;)"

Hasn't been described as 'platinum' yet, just 'very blond'.:) Ahh...Bones...

message 13: by Dina (new)

Dina Oh man, 5 stars and a top-notch selling review! What have I done to deserve this "torture"? *glares at book budget and hopes money starts sprouting from trees*

Kathrynn Super nice review, Auntee. Made me smile and I've read this one! Are you moving on to #4? I have #4 to read and may just read it with you since I have yet to start the Marliss Melton I pulled out and hoped to start today, but didn't.

Auntee Kathrynn wrote: "Super nice review, Auntee. Made me smile and I've read this one! Are you moving on to #4? I have #4 to read and may just read it with you since I have yet to start the Marliss Melton I pulled ou..."
Thaks Kathrynn--I just loved Johnny Duane (although I hated that name) and Crystal!

Yep, I'm going to stick with my pledge of finishing up some series before I start any new ones (we'll see how long that lasts!)

I'm going to start Feel the Heat later tonight--do you feel like reading it?

message 16: by Auntee (last edited Nov 08, 2009 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Dina wrote: "Oh man, 5 stars and a top-notch selling review! What have I done to deserve this "torture"? *glares at book budget and hopes money starts sprouting from trees*"

LOL Dina, I'm telling you this one (and the series) is worth the money!:)

message 17: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review, Auntee:)

message 18: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review Auntee!

Shawna *whoosh, splat* That's the sound of my TBR pile crashing to the floor as I dig frantically for my Cindy Gerard Bodyguard/Black Ops books! LOL!

Awesome review, Auntee!

But yikes, I've got 7 books to catch up in order to get to this one!

Kathrynn Yes, I'll get my copy out and start it, too. :-) Feel I won't get much reading in tonight before the eyelids want to close. Busy day!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Woo-Hoo! Sounds like a real winner. Great review, Auntee!

So, can this series be read out of order? lol

Auntee Thanks all!

Audball, I think you know the answer to that! (lol)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Auntee wrote:
Audball, I think you know the answer to that! (lol)"

*grumbles* I know, I know! All these darn series have to be read in order. A woman can't read fast enough! LOL

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Great review, Auntee! You convinced me; I'm adding it. :)

Auntee You won't be sorry, LK!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I sure do love this series.

And your avi ;)

Auntee What, you mean this?;) Or something like it...
Photobucket

Pamela(AllHoney) **wiping drool**

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish O.M.G.

Sweet Mary.

**thud**

message 30: by UKSandy (new) - added it

UKSandy I really, really, really need to start this series!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It's so good, Sandy! I own all the paperbacks and she's an auto buy author for me.

message 32: by UKSandy (new) - added it

UKSandy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "It's so good, Sandy! I own all the paperbacks and she's an auto buy author for me."

**Waves to Dhestiny**

Well since I trust your judgement Dhestiny I will defo be pushing these up my list!

message 33: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Who is that hunk in post #27? **sigh**

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "Who is that hunk in post #27? **sigh**"

Henry Cavill *sigh*

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish UKSandy wrote: "**Waves to Dhestiny**"

Hi, Doll! Gosh, I've missed you! I hope you're well!!

**hugs**

message 36: by UKSandy (new) - added it

UKSandy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "UKSandy wrote: "**Waves to Dhestiny**"

Hi, Doll! Gosh, I've missed you! I hope you're well!!

**hugs**"

missed you too Dhestiny *hugs right back at ya!"

message 37: by Dina (new)

Dina HENRY!!!! *thuds*

Auntee Henry has quite the fan club here..:)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Auntee wrote: "Henry has quite the fan club here..:)

Did I see "Henry"??

Aaahh... Henry, the sight of his face always makes me want to weep from the sheer masculine beauty. *SWOONS*

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* And since Henry drew me in here, I thought I might as well read your review, Auntee. ^_^ Another great review! I haven't read any Cindy Gerard yet. And there's a setting in Jakarta, Indonesia? Cool. I'll have to read this series...sometime in the next 10 years, at the rate I'm going. LOL

Auntee Thanks, Lady Jayne (and Henry thanks you too for the compliment!)

message 42: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Aug 15, 2011 07:09AM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Auntee wrote: "Not read Gerard yet? But you must! She's fantastic, and she uses some exotic settings. And her heroes? *sigh*"

I know, I know, Auntee. I really want to. It's just that I have quite a few series that I started but haven't caught up with all the books in the series yet, and books by fave authors that I haven't read yet, that I really want to read. Too many books, too little time. *sighs* I do have the first book in this series though! I hope to read it soon. ^_^

Auntee Oh, I know the feeling, LJ. It's sooo hard to start another series when you have so many others in progress!

message 44: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Aug 15, 2011 07:23AM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Auntee wrote: "Oh, I know the feeling, LJ. It's sooo hard to start another series when you have so many others in progress!
But when you finally get to this series, I don't think you'll be disappointed!:)"

Yup. My goal is to catch up with series I've already started, first. But I'm looking forward to these, when I do get a chance to read them! Cheers, Auntee! And please, feel free to call me Jayne. ^_^

Auntee Absolutely, Jayne!:)

Quinn Awesome review, Auntee! I was about to write one, then I read yours and realised you'd said it all and better than I could. I hope it's OK that, I linked to your review in mine. I loved this one as much as you did!

Auntee Thanks Quinn!:)
I'd love to read your gushing review for this book! I must've left something out about Johnny Duane Reed!

Quinn Well, I must say, Auntee - I'm a little disappointed that you didn't 'cast' this one!

Auntee Who could possibly be Johnny Duane Reed?:) Who could live up to that?:O

Steamywindows♥♫ Auntee does this series have to be read in order?

« previous 1