Rosa's Reviews > Unpolished Gem

Oct 19, 11

liked it
bookshelves: library-owns
Read on October 19, 2011

This book really educates a reader on life, and what really goes on. I felt very empathetic towards Alice, and although her life was very difficult at times, there were good things as well.
Alice is an amazing character, who has gone through very much and she is very brave to share her story like this. At times, i felt a deep understanding for how she felt, and the way she tells her story very much maximises this effect: with confidence and honesty.

I don't usually read biographies/auto biographies, this was set for me to read by a teacher at school, and at first I found myself dreading every page and hoping that the story would end so i could move on and read a book of my own choosing, i even contemplated Sparknotes (oh sparknotes you are my saviour) but then I thought, 'hey, i should at least give the book a chance' and so i flipped open the cover and started page 1. As the story progressed, i was drawn in by the rawness of the story, how Alice lays out the facts as they honestly are. She doesn't use tamer words to downplay certain events, she tells it as it is. I found that it wasn't as boring as I had initially thought, but despite this, i felt that the book wasn't going anywhere. Even when I finished the book (which took me a while because I only read on bus rides but i got there) I couldn't say that I was completely and utterly gobsmacked by the story and yearning for more. I know, I know... it's a true lifestory, and a remarkable one no doubt, but I think I'll stick to my precious Fantasy, Paranormal and Sci-fi novels :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unpolished Gem.