Mrs. Riding's Reviews > Girls Don't Fly

Girls Don't Fly by Kristen Chandler

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, local-authors
Read in October, 2011

Myra, a senior at Cyprus High, is caught without wings in her crazy life, trying to please everyone but herself. Her Prince Charming turns out to be a frog. Her unwed pregnant sister moves home, just one more person Myra needs to help care for. Then an opportunity to fly is offered in Biology class and Myra decides to go for it--the chance to spend the summer studying in the Galapagos Islands. No one really takes her seriously, so Myra has trouble taking herself seriously. Yet she keeps working towards the chance to leave her little Utah town.

Kristen Chandler caught me on the first page and once I turned the page, I just couldn't stop reading until the very end. How delightful to read the carefully crafted passages that let me fly as I read about Myra's adventures just learning to see around her. The beautifully written prose allowed me to see the beauty of the great Salt Lake, feel the mist of the cold lake effect winds and hear Myra's doubts about who she was and could be. Difficult topics such as teen pregnancy are handled well without inappropriate scenes or preaching. Chandler has written another excellent book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Don't Fly.