Jeff Lanter's Reviews > The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1

The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1 by Matt Fraction

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in November, 2011

I give Invincible Iron Man a hearty four stars. This is a fun and interesting superhero comic that is perfect for people who enjoyed the Iron Man movies. I say that because I am in that category and would have never tried Iron Man otherwise. Since it is so large, I won't bother trying to recap the plot, but I will say the villains are quite strong and interesting. Ezekiel Stane in particular was chilling and someone I hope will reappear in the series. I think this Omnibus also does a great job of introducing characters from the wider Marvel universe. Henry Osborn, Spiderman, Black Widow, Madame Masque, and many others make appearances and it is easy to see who each one is. The art is solid and somewhat unique. It has a very photoshopped look because of the coloring, but other than Pepper and Black Widow looking too similar, I thought it served the story well. I also really loved the extended cover gallery in the back. Not only were there some awesome variants, but Marvel often skimped on this in the past so it is nice to see all the covers make an appearance. The highest compliment I can pay to Iron Man is that it has depth and is focused on long form story telling. There are plenty of comics that will give you a new villain every other month, but there are essentially two long stories told in 300 plus pages. That makes for a much more satisfying and interesting comic. I am looking forward to the next omnibus!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Volume 1.