Jackie's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, bpl-staff-bookclub, identity, violence, thriller-psychological, england
Read from October 29 to November 02, 2011

Christine Lucas has had an accident...a terrible one. Every night when she goes to sleep, she forgets everything about her life. She wakes up with a stranger, even though it is her husband. She wakes up, thinking she is in her twenties, when she is really 47. She wakes up with no memories of a son, a fire, or even of the car accident that took away her memory. Doctors have tried, hospital staff have been caring...but to no avail. She cannot remember.

That's when Dr. Nash enters, and he encourages her to keep a journal. Write down everything she did in a day and everything she happened to remember, however trivial or small...a flash of light, a rooftop party, a red-haired friend with no name. Slowly, gradually she starts to piece minute parts together with the doctor's help. Ben, her husband, who has stood by her throughout, is not as pleased with the new found memories. He fears the trauma of the accident's memory will make it all worse.

Frightening images start to emerge, Ben seems distant, even scary sometimes, and Claire, her long lost friend provides some insights that may just be the clue. In this psychological thriller, Before I Go to Sleep, the reader goes on this journey with Christine, just as bewildered as she is...until the last page. Talk about a sit on the edge-of-your-seat book...I almost had to miss work to finish this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.