Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)'s Reviews > The Farewell Season

Oct 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: own-arc
Read in November, 2011

First, a heartfelt thank you to the author who provided a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review. Now to my thoughts....

The Farewell Season was one of those books that has a simple, honest story. It's all about real people experiencing a life-changing event, and how that event affects and shapes them. Eric, his sister, and mother have experienced the kind of loss that most everyone will at some point in their lives...the loss of a loved one. The way Eric deals with his father's loss was very real, and very true to how I would imagine a teenaged boy might react. Ann Herrick did an excellent job showing Eric through his stages of grief. They say that as you progress through those stages, you'll experience many emotions, one of which is anger, maybe some bitterness even. Eric is clearly in that stage at the start of the story. He pushes his family and friends away, isolates himself, snaps at people around him, including his best friend, and his coach. He treats his mother as if it's all her fault. He almost seems to be on a collision course of destruction that could potentially derail him. Enter Glynnie.

Glynnie was one of those quirky characters that you just have to love. She's a little bit of a nerd, ask too many questions, and seems to know exactly how to chip away at Eric's layers of grief. Watching her question him, get under his skin and make him think was so interesting. It seemed like she knew just what to say, just which questions to ask that would goad him and get him to open up without realizing it.

I loved watching Eric grow and change throughout the story as he worked his way through his issues. There aren't that many books of this sort out there that are written from the male perspective, so this was refreshing. I thought Ann Herrick did a great job getting into Eric's head and making his character seem real and believable. All in all, this was an simple, honestly told story that was full of growth and warmth. I would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farewell Season.