Michael's Reviews > Twelfth Night

Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

Oct 18, 2011

bookshelves: classics, drama
Read in October, 2011

Typically, reading Shakespeare is a pretty tedious process but ends with an Oh, that was okay. My true appreciation for his plays tends to come after the fact while looking at them as a whole.

Twelfth Night was a nice exception to that rule. This may have been the first Shakespeare play where I was actually in suspense because I wanted to know what would happen. All the characters and their subplots flowed through each other so well that it was pretty easy to get lost in the story.

This is the first Shakespearean "comedy" that I've read, and even though I'm usually a fan of doom-and-gloom, this isn't much different than his tragedies. The instances of comic relief weren't over the top and still allowed the main plot to develop at a good pace. Really, the only difference I see between this and his tragedies is that everyone didn't drop dead at the end.

Overall, if Shakespeare scares you, I would suggest this one. It's one of his faster-paced works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelfth Night.

message 1: by Cara (new)

Cara I should read this one because The Iron King is loosely based on it, at least I think? It would be cool to see any correlations that I missed.

Michael It's actually based on A Midsummer Night's Dream. :)

message 3: by Cara (new)

Cara Oh my gosh I am going senile already! *face palm* let me crawl in a corner and contemplate my confusion. Have you read A Midsummer Night's Dream yet then?

Michael Hahaha, at least I think it's based on that play! I'm pretty sure they have the same characters.

I haven't read it though. I've watched a presentation on it, though, and it looks pretty interesting! :)