Roy Kenagy's Reviews > Distrust That Particular Flavor

Distrust That Particular Flavor by William Gibson

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: to-read

AVC: Your first collection of non-fiction, Distrust That Particular Flavor, comes out in January. Have you always wanted to write non-fiction?

WG: I’m a reluctant writer of non-fiction, in part because I don’t really feel qualified. I have the toolkit of a novelist, and no training as a journalist or science writer. But I’ve been surprised to realize how much of my fiction over the years has been steered by getting non-fiction assignments and agreeing to go meet someone or look at something. I’ve been forced out of my comfort zone and have to think about these things differently.

AVC: So what are the essays about?

WG: One is about the future of digital film; another is about Orwell’s version of the future versus what we live in today. It’s a very mixed bag. There are 25 pieces, which range from my review of a fairly recent Steely Dan album to musing on where the Digital, with a capital D, might be headed.

AVC: Are they new for this book? Or have they been published elsewhere?

WG: Most of them have been published elsewhere, but there are some talks that have never been published.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distrust That Particular Flavor.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samuel (new) - added it

Samuel Thanks for posting this! I'm looking forward to this book in audio -- it's going to be read by Robertson Dean, the same narrator as Gibson's two most recent novels.