Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Real Men Will

Real Men Will by Victoria Dahl

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: October 25, 2011 (Available Now)
Publisher: Harelquin
Imprint: HQN
Author’s Website: http://www.victoriadahl.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Donovan Brother’s Brewery
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Hot
Eric Donovan is the “good” brother. Older, responsible to a fault, and a bit of a perfectionist, he never indulges in the same wild behavior as his younger brother. Until one day, a simple case of mistaken identity spirals out of control into a combination of the most shameful and wonderful night of his life. Beth Cantrell, the notorious owner of a shop that specializes in racy lingerie and battery-operated marital aids, mistook Eric for his wild brother Jaime while at a business expo several months ago. Unable to deny the attraction crackling between them, they both knew that they could never have a real relationship — he couldn’t risk being seen with a woman of her reputation without possibly damaging the brewery, and she knew that being seen with a man as preppy looking as “Jamie” wouldn’t fit with her sex-goddess persona that drew customers into her store.

After an incredible night of passion that neither has been able to forget, they both went their separate ways, determined to keep their tryst as a simple cherished memory. But now, Beth has discovered that “Jaime” isn’t Jaime after all — the man she’d had such a beautiful memory of had lied to get her into bed.

Furious and humiliated, she confronts Eric in an explosive showdown that leaves him not only ashamed of his actions, but also at odds with his family. He’s broken Beth’s trust once, but neither can seem to get the other out of their minds…

Overall, this was an excellent ending to a wonderful series.

While I didn’t care for the fact that in order to get the full benefit of this story, you needed to read a novella from an earlier anthology instead of just the other books in the series, I still greatly enjoyed Beth and Eric’s story.

Beth was exactly what Eric needed, and frankly, he was what she needed as well. Beth had spent her life “faking it” so to speak, and needed someone who was fairly normal yet aggressive to bring out her inner vixen without forcing her to overthink every move. For Eric, he needed someone who didn’t see him as the reliable, trustworthy part-owner of Donovan Brother’s Brewery and instead allowed him the freedom to make mistakes and simply be human for a little while.

The love scenes were probably the hottest out of the entire series, and wowza, the steam and chemistry between these two was flat out insane (which of course means I loved it!).

I do recommend that the series be read in order, simply because Eric has played such a large part in the previous novels and there is a lot of insight into his character to be had by reading the entire series.

In the end, I really enjoyed this one. There’s a lovely wrap-up with the Donovan family issues, some side characters get their long-coming HEA’s without taking over the story, and the romance (and heat!) between Eric and Beth was absolutely wonderful.

Recommended for fans of heroes and heroines with family issues, of heroines learning to trust not only others but herself, and of heroes finally finding their own identity.

4.5/5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Men Will.

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) I love Victoria Dahl!! I need to get this! let me know what you think!!

Jess the Romanceaholic So far it's really good. Have you read the others in the series?

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) nope, I can't believe I didn't know about it, I loved her Talk me Down series. Will have to get these ones real soon!

Jess the Romanceaholic If you liked those, you'll enjoy these too :) Definitely read them in order though.. You can skip the novella from Guy Next Door until you're ready to read this one though -- it deals with the hero and heroine of this story :)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) I was going to buy guy next door first, I'll wait until I've read book two now :D thx!

message 6: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan I've been hearing a lot about Victoria Dahl but never read her *ducks* so which book should I start with?

Jess the Romanceaholic For contemporaries, I'd start with Talk Me Down, and if historical is more your forte, I'd suggest To Tempt A Scotsman :)

message 8: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan Thanks! I'll try Talk Me Down first. :)

Amanda P I loved this book it was my fav of the series and you are right about the smexy scenes they really heated up the pages! Who knew Eric had it in him?!

Jess the Romanceaholic I KNOW! He seemed so buttoned up and straight laced in general, but good gracious that man knew how to let go, huh? *fans self*

Amanda P Its the quiet ones you have to worry about! This book had some of the best sex scenes, I swear. Wowza~

Jess the Romanceaholic I definitely agree. Contemporaries aren't really my thing in general (I prefer historical or PNR/UF), but I'm a solid fan of Victoria Dahl simply because that woman knows how to write a love scene lol

Amanda P I'm new to Victoria Dahl it was suggested I give this series a whirl and I know I'll be checking out her other books as well. Tessa's book had some good ones too. Love how the brothers thought she was still all sweet and innocent. HAHA!

Jess the Romanceaholic You HAVE to try her Tumble Creek series! :) It's her same signature blend of humor and steam and drama :) Start with Talk Me Down -- you won't regret it!

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) You should read Talk of the Town by Karen Hawkins if you haven't - it's another great contemporary that I read around the same time as Talk me down and involve a sexy cop and a small town so I often think of them together. Karen Hawkins is an amazing writer and one of my favourites!

Jess the Romanceaholic Oooh thanks for the rec! I'm adding it to my TBR! :)

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) she writes fantastic historical as well her scottish series are: yuuummy!

Amanda P I've added both of those rec's to my tbr!