Emilyn's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

F 50x66
Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: book-club, young-adult, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance, kick-ass-leading-lady
Read from October 19 to 26, 2011

I almost didn't read this one because I didn't like the cover (and yes, I know, I shouldn't be judging books by their covers). I'm glad I picked it up, though, since I'm a sucker for the crop of young adult fantasy books with strong, interesting heroines that have been published in the past few years. If you liked The Hunger Games, Matched, Graceling, or Sabriel for the strong female main character, you'll want to pick up Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Karou is a young woman living in Prague who is leading a double life. In one life she is an art student with a boyfriend who cheated on her, in the other, she runs errands picking up teeth for the wishmonger, Brimstone, the chimaera who raised her. She collects languages, has blue hair that grows in that way, three bullet scars on her abdomen and eye tattoos on the palms of her hands that have been there for as long as she can remember.

Karou is drawn into a centuries old conflict between angels and the chimaera when she runs into Akiva, an angel soldier trying to cut Brimstone off from the world. Karou and Akiva are drawn to one another, but there are secrets kept and hidden between them, and a startling revelation will drive them apart.
1 like • Likeflag