L-D's Reviews > Duet

Duet by Eden Winters

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, ghost-spirits-medium-reaper, musician-rock-stars-bands, pnr, romance, royalty-regency, historical
Recommended to L-D by: Eden Winters
Read on April 19, 2012

Oh! This was soooooo good! I started reading this quite honestly a few months back and couldn't get into it right away and set it down. I think I didn't get into it mostly because it's a little bit of a historical fiction. But after reading Angel of 13th Street, also by Eden Winters, I enjoyed that book so much I thought I would give this one another try. I'm so glad I did. This book has made my favorites shelf.

Malcolm Byerly is a violinist that accepts a tutoring position in the Highlands in order. He is introduced to four young charges that are sons of the Laird Callaghan. The young boys take to him immediately, but the same can't be said of their older brother and heir, Aillil Callaghan. After the English beat the Scotsmen and invoked many harsh rules that take away the Highland culture (no tartans, no bagpipes, no gaelic) Aillil views all Englishmen as evil. He keeps a suspicious eye on the young tutor to make sure that his brothers are not falling under his evil influence.

Aillil's relationship with his father is stilted at best. Feeling like his father betrayed their countrymen to suck up to the English, Aillil rebels by wearing his tartans and doing everything a true Scotsman would do. I thought Aillil's character was extremely well-developed and you could feel his loyalty and his heart in everything he did. I fell in love with Aillil and it was extremely fun to watch his relationship with Malcolm develop.

About halfway through the story there was a heart-wrenching but extremely interesting twist. I did not read any descriptions prior to reading this book so I was really surprised. I think they should take out the spoilers in the description because without the spoilers, this book blew my mind when I read it. I had an honest to goodness WTF moment.

The first half of the book and the second half of the book felt almost like different books to me, but I enjoyed that aspect as well. If you haven't read this book, and you like historicals, I think you will love this book.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duet.

message 1: by Susan65 (new) - added it

Susan65 I have not read the blurb and now I am not going to...thanks for the heads up.

message 2: by Vio (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vio Perfectly said L-D, loved so much!

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Thanks for your reviews today, Lannie! I've added 5 books to my tbr pile. :D

message 4: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D You're welcome! Eden Winters recommended these two to me herself after I read and enjoyed one of her shorts. She said that this one and Angel of 13th Street are two of her favorites. Also found out while reviewing these books that she is coming out with a sequel of Angel of 13th St. called Fallen Angel. Can't wait!

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Whooohoo! Yeah I think it's coming out soon according to Tom.

And your alive?!?! Yayayayay! Glad you and Stacey had fun. :-)

message 6: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D OMG - alive but barely kicking!! I think Stacey tried to kill me. Death by pomegranate martini! Put it on my tombstone please!

message 7: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden Winters I'm so glad you enjoyed the book, L-D. This one holds a special place in my heart.