Anna Rothenhoefer's Reviews > Rose Blanche

Rose Blanche by Roberto Innocenti

Oct 18, 2011

liked it

Rose Blanche is a great picture book to introduce the topic of the Holocaust to young children. I can't remember how young I was when I learned about the Holocaust, so I'm not sure what age-level to assign this book. The ending reminds me of the ending in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I found that the illustrations were gloomy and did not show many bright colors. I think this help sets the mood for the story. I also like how the sotry is told from a child's perspective. I found it interesting how the story started off in first-person, with Rose telling her story, and then shifted to third-person narrative. I don't know how young children would react after reading this book, and I would take into careful consideration their intellectual development before exposing this book to them. I would suggest that students in fourth grade and above read this book. I would not suggest reading it aloud to younger children either. I think that this is a great book that can be resourceful in teaching history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose Blanche.