emily's Reviews > What Is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng; A Novel

What Is the What by Dave Eggers

Oct 24, 11

Read from October 18 to 24, 2011

This review is for the audiobook edition.

Working in a field where data entry is inevitable, I have made a couple previous forays into teh world of audiobooks, but have always felt that I enjoy books less having listened to rather than read them. (For example, why was an audiobook version of 'Cloud Atlas' even made??) Right now I have a commute of 2-4 hours every day, so I am giving audiobooks another shot. This version of 'What Is the What' has COMPLETELY changed my mind about audiobooks. Dionne Graham (of 'The Wire') is incredible at giving voice to the many Sudanese, American, even Japanese, adult, child, and teenager, male and female characters, and the story is so engaging I found myself almost looking forward to my mornings and afternoons in Chicagoland rush hour. ALMOST LOOKING FORWARD TO!!! I actually read 'What Is the What' for the first time several years ago and I loved it just as much as the first time through. If anyone else with a long commute is thinking of giving audiobooks a shot, definitely look for this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Is the What.