Gayle's Reviews > The Golovlyov Family

The Golovlyov Family by Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin

Oct 18, 2011

bookshelves: classics

One of the classics of Russian literature - can't give it five stars.......just....because; it's a dark, sad, "didn't need to be that way" story. It was a view of the cycle that can be passed from one bad generation to later generations. It is a strong reminder of what we do will indeed affect future generations. It is also a look at someone who appears to be religious, yet lives a life of complete hypocrisy, falling into ruin. (Well, they all fall into ruin one way or another - religious hypocrisy REALLY bugs me, though. Iudushka was really SO diabolical.) The book is in its entirety a discourse on how NOT to live life. And, that sometimes it really is too late to redeem oneself in this life. By no means am I an intellectual, so I confess I may have missed many points of the book, but I've described what I found as a reader. It was actually written quite simply. (Meaning it didn't have the pages and pages of detailed descriptions of, say, "Crime and Punishment.") Would I read this book again...mmm....probably not, but I am glad I read it once! If you are exploring Russian literature, this is a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golovlyov Family.