Alicia Ham's Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

F 50x66
May 01, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, classics
Recommended for: Anyone who likes Narnia and fantasy books.
Read in May, 2008 , read count: 1

This was a good book, although it seemed a bit slow in places to me. There were times when I had to force myself to continue reading, or else I may have simply set it down and never picked it back up again. Perhaps it is simply because of the nature of the book itself, what with trying to tell the beginning of a story that I had already immersed myself in previously. I notice I have had that same problem with other things of that nature. It could also be because I could not seem to really identify with any of the characters in this book as I could in most of the others.

It did do a really nice job of tying up some of the questions I had from The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe though, and so I appreciated it for that reason alone. I also liked how Queen Jadis seemed to have a very similar effect on Digory at first as she had on Edmund in the first book. All in all, it was a descent enough book, but not my favorite from the series.

Favorite quotes/passages:

It was the quietest wood that you could possibly imagine. There were no birds, no insects, no animals, and no wind. You could almost feel the trees growing.

She had just thrown away the core of an apple which she had eaten. The juice was darker than you would expect and had made a horrid stain round her mouth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.