Nicholas During's Reviews > Don't Look Now: Selected Stories

Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier

Oct 18, 2011

liked it
Read from October 18 to 24, 2011

A bit inconsistent, to tell you the truth. Some of the stories are excellent (my favs: "Don't Look Now," "The Birds", "Monte Vièrge", "Kiss Me, Stranger"), others lagged as the reader is waiting for the expected twist to come and feels like she is wasting her time until it arrives.

The atmosphere is impressive in most of the stories, however. And weirdness is one of my favorite traits in any form of art. So it was a bit of a shame that some of the stories don't hold up, in my opinion. Still, I would recommend these stories as good examples of gothic horror, a genre that is full effect nowadays. And without the gore and sex (or chastity) that fills the contemporary popular additions. In that way, I think the collection is a good example of a different style of narrative construction, though dated; and also perhaps the beginning of an end of traditional comforts and morality. One could hardly call it modern, but the themes and anxiety that run through seem to presage a mode that dominated high modern literature, something that du Maurier would hardly be classified as.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Look Now.