Susan's Reviews > Remember Me?

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

May 25, 08

bookshelves: guiltypleasures
Read in May, 2008

Sophie Kinsella's books follow a formula that's as simple and delicious as my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Start with a twenty-something heroine who's slogging away at her career in London. She's far from perfect. Neither an Oxbridge graduate, cover girl, or WAG of a world-class footballer, our girl's best quality is that she's a true-blue friend. She's a pretty hard worker, decent and well-meaning. She hasn't a mean bone in her body. Her flaws tend to run in the direction of materialism. This may manifest itself in a shopping addiction, or a tad too much lusting after designer goods, or a bit too much interest in the glitzy trappings of material success. The recipe in The Undomestic Goddess is slightly different--like an inverse chocolate chip cookie recipe, I suppose. (Chocolate dough with white chocolate chips). The heroine was a brilliant, high-powered City attorney or investment banker(can't remember which), who lived for her work but was clueless outside the office.

To these raw ingredients is added a crisis: a nasty workplace conspiracy ( The Undomestic Goddess ), a terrifying plane ride that loosens her lips(Can You Keep a Secret?), or an automobile crash(Remember Me?). If I recall, the Shopaholic books' crises pretty much revolve around the pitfalls of overspending. :)

The crisis performs a function as essential as the baking soda in the cookie recipe: it forces our heroine to rise to the occasion. She draws on qualities that she never knew she possessed, using them to make lemonade from lemons. The sugar is of course provided by Mr. Perfect, who crops up somewhere in her newly-jumbled circumstances. Our lucky London heroine grows in important ways, and finds true love in the process.

Lexi Smart, the central character in Remember Me?, learns an especially important lesson: the perfect life-- with a perfect body, career, and husband--just isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I know that cookies aren't good for me. I should be eating fruits and veggies, right? But once in a while I really need to indulge myself in something that's unrealistically sweet, simple and predictable. What fun to imagine that career success can come so easily from selling vintage carpet designs--and in London, no less!

Conclusion: Remember Me? is an especially quick and fun read that's driven by an admirable philosophy that I'm determined to adopt. I give it four yummy stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remember Me?.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve I doubt I'll ever read Sophie Kinsella, but after reading your review I'm out to find a full cookie jar.

Susan You are still the Cookie Monster, even if your jar is always empty now! Poor Steve! Sorry that my review put cookies on your brain.

Julia Hotopp This is a great analogy, Mum! I like the fact that you recognize Kinsella's books are formulaic, but a good formula at that. I'm looking forward to reading this book now, as a fluffy little treat (macaroon perhaps?) after this quarter!

Phyllis Susan, after reading your delicious review of Remember Me, I've added two of Sophie's books to my "to-read" list. When it's time to choose my next read, I guess I'll have to decide whether to have my chocolate chip cookie before the main meal, (GWTW)!

Susan I hope you enjoy Sophie's escapist stories as much as I did, Phyllis. My only complaint with Sophie is that she doesn't write faster--I've read all her books already! As for opting for cookies before the main course, if you're anything like me you'll go for the sweets first every time!

message 6: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva sophie kinsella also writes under the name madeleine wickham, if you didn't read those yet. the style is different but also good (i loved cocktails for three)

Susan This is too funny. Eva, just as I was changing the status of Mini Shopaholic from "to-read" to "currently reading," I got an email informing me of your comment. And I've had Mini for three months but just now decided to read it...

I did read Gate Crashers by Madeline Wickham and was not thrilled with it (the premise put me off a bit). But I will add Cocktails for Three to my to-read list on your recommendation, thanks very much!