Bee's Reviews > Unintended

Unintended by M.J. O'Shea

A book named after a (I’m assuming) Muse song. Generally good, with decent writing…but it was just a little too syrupy for my taste.

Taylor is pretty comfortable with his life. He’s got friends and set plans for College. Then he goes to a party at “the new guy” Alex’s house. Alex is a loner who’s a little uncomfortable making friends because his father’s job makes them move around a lot, never giving Alex time to fully settle anywhere. When Alex and Taylor meet at the party they instantly connect. Alex is attracted to Taylor right away; so is Taylor, but since he believes himself to be straight he doesn’t realize it at first. When he does their relationship tentatively blossoms and turns into love. Now Alex wants to be Taylor’s boyfriend in public, but Taylor might not be ready for that…and Alex might not have the time to give Taylor a chance to become ready…

This book starts in 2009 where Alex and Taylor are moving into a new house together. Then the story jumps back to 1999 when the two of them met. Cute, but now we also know from the beginning that they are going to end up together in the end. Fine, in most stories we already suspect from the beginning that the main characters are getting their HEA…but it’s different to sort of know and to know for sure.

In the beginning every other chapter is in the past and every other in the present. The chapters in the present are very sweet, sugary and lovey-dovey. The chapters in the past on the other hand are filled with great chemistry and heavy UST. I think the story would have benefited from staying more focused on the past and only slipping back to the present a few times. Since the present time chapters don’t have much actual plot in them (they are more of slice-of-life quality) they kind of drag the story down a bit. It’s insane when a book of around 90 pages can manage to feel long…and these sections of the book are solely responsible for that feeling.

There are also some details in the story that I could have done without.(view spoiler) Hello clichés!

A nice enough book, just not one of my favorites.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unintended.