Lori's Reviews > Derby Girl

Derby Girl by Shauna Cross

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read from October 18 to 20, 2011

So here's my issue-- I enjoyed reading this book, but I don't really think it was really very good or anything. How do you rate a book like that? Bliss is a 16-year old self-proclaimed misfit growing up in small town Bodeen, Texas. She is looking for her niche in the world, but is forced by her evil mother to take part in beauty pageants, which is a total indie-rock no-no. Then Bliss finds roller derby, and her life is never the same. The story was fun, and the language was very realistic, but the complete nerd and misfit in me has a hard time sympathizing with a girl who complains about everything being soooo hard, when in fact everything turns out very easy for her. When she tries out for roller derby, at first she is terrrrible, but right at the very end when it matters most, she becomes amazing and gets into her favorite roller derby team. She sees this super hot boy, and the next thing you know he's her boyfriend. Her mom finds out she's doing roller derby and freaks, so she runs away and is taken in by one of the other roller derby girls. In real life, she would have had to take her 16 year old butt home to her parents to deal with it. And in the end, her mom changes her mind ALL OF A SUDDEN and they make it to the roller derby finals in time. Yes, her boyfriend breaks up with her, but even that doesn't seem to hold her down for long. As a misfit myself growing up, I want to be able to relate to other misfits I'm reading about, and nothing that happened to Bliss would ever have happened to me. Am I being too critical? Probably. I also have a hard time dealing with characters who feel like they don't fit in but who also think they are waaaaay better than everyone else. That normally isn't the case. You usually feel like crap about yourself. That's a bit more realistic in my opinion. But, like I said earlier, it was still a fun book to read, and I think there are teens out there who would love to read this book.

**I also saw the movie, and decided I like the book better than the movie.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derby Girl.