Radiance79's Reviews > Pathfinder

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

U 50x66
Oct 18, 11

Let me start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It really worked my brain with the whole time travel aspect of the story. I love how the author went into depth to explain time travel; especially with how it applied to each gifted character and how it affected the use of their powers. One character for example has the power to become invisible. He/she does this by either skipping every other second or by cutting every second in half, I can’t remember which right now. But the idea is still cool. In most movies, shows, books, etc. dealing with a person who can turn invisible, they do not explain how this is possible. They just show the person turning invisible. But Card actually breaks the ability down into a believable explanation that makes it truly original on his part.

On to the characters; they had some rather odd names I admit. I couldn’t help but associate “Rigg” with bootlegging or tampering with something. Or “Umbo” with dumbo or gumbo. Eh maybe that was just me. But the characters make up for their odd names with excellent personalities. I mean, you can’t help but fall in love with Rigg and his awesomeness. The kid is practically 13 going on 23 with that ingenious IQ. In fact, I forget he’s 13 at times. The kid has aged beyond his years. I love the air of charisma he suddenly carries with him after applying together everything that he had been taught by Father. I also love his sarcasm. Rigg was easily the best character, and the protagonist is rarely my favorite character.

I most certainly give this novel five stars because I found it to be very well written and entertaining. I seriously never found myself bored, but found it rather hard to put the book down. The ending left me intrigued and wanting to know so much more. In fact, I still have some unanswered questions and theories. I’m dying for the sequel. Magnificent work Card, keep it up.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pathfinder.