Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Old Man and His Sons

The Old Man and His Sons by Heðin Brú

Jan 02, 13

bookshelves: location-faroe-islands, cold-weather-islands, read2012, around-the-world
Read on February 26, 2012

This book was too short, and over too soon! It took a long time to track down a book written in the Faroe Islands that had actually been translated into English. This was written in the 1940s, depicting a quickly fading "old way" of living as a Faroese Islander. Brutal whale hunt, brutal living, but debt-free!

This is a simple story with memorable characters, but tends to drive home the message of the old ways having value and being disregarded a little too forcefully.

Because the Faroe Islands are at the top of places I dream about visiting, I stopped every time a specific spot was mentioned and looked at pictures of it before moving on in the story. It became easy to picture, and easy to place, when you consider that the main characters think of Tórshavn as "the city," and haven't been since children. The Faroe Islands are not that big to begin with!

[image error]
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Man and His Sons.

Forrest Your review has compelled me to buy this book. It's on my reading pile now (under a couple of others, but there, lurking, like a whale looking up from the deep).

Jenny (Reading Envy) Forrest wrote: "Your review has compelled me to buy this book. It's on my reading pile now (under a couple of others, but there, lurking, like a whale looking up from the deep)."
Careful, it might start to stink up the other books.