J. Cafesin's Reviews > The Silent Land

The Silent Land by Graham Joyce

Oct 18, 11

Read in September, 2011

Wow! This moves rocket fast. Exact right amount of words! Clean, wonderfully engaging (but then I'm a BIG spec fiction buff, so take that into account). Right out of Twilight Zone. Good job, Graham! Really loved it! Read it in like 3 days which is awesome for me since I read really slow and don't get a lot of time to free read.

Set up: Married couple goes skiing, get caught in avalanche, end up thinking they got out safe...but...deserted hotel when they get back, abandoned town. Very creepy! They keep trying to get out of town but can't. Best part-- they are atheists and there isn't a god play here as the writer explores the place between life and death.

Not a lot of character development, and while this would usually bother me, it didn't with this book. The action is so weird, the story so compelling that I didn't miss an in-depth view of this couples personality. Their responses seemed natural to the bizarre happenings, in fact, much of the characters inner thoughts were ones I was having while reading.

Not a deep or profound story or lesson, or even character arcs, but a great read, a fast, fun ride. Pure entertainment!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Land.