A.J. Llewellyn's Reviews > Pele's Tears

Pele's Tears by Kiernan Kelly

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: i-own-a-copy
Read in October, 2011

I was very excited to read this story and give the love story three and a half stars because it is a tear-jerker. I loved the two characters but was so astonished by the lack of even basic research that it spoiled this story for me. Pele's Tears are not olivine or peridot. They are jet-black pieces of volcanic glass. A basic Wikipedia search would have shown that.
It is also unlikely that an island-born man would give a natural treasure such as this to a visitor to take off the island since it is considered extremely bad luck.
Since the story involves a painful 50 year separation I guess the curse worked although it is never addressed in this tale.
I did enjoy John and Kaimi's story and would have loved to read more. The geography is bothersome too since John take a taxi from the airport to Waikiki and...the Banzai Pipeline. This is impossible since Banzai is an hour away on the other side of the island on the north shore. Again something a small amount of research would have pointed out - but for me another instance of being lifted out of this very tender love story.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pele's Tears.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess It would have been difficult to read such mistakes when you are so knowledgeable about the subject.

I personally hate bad research. It is so easy these days with access to wikipedia and other websites/blogs.

A.J. Llewellyn Hi Jess, these were big mistakes...and hard to overlook. Thanks for the comment.