Shirley Schwartz's Reviews > Behold a Pale Horse

Behold a Pale Horse by Peter Tremayne

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: my-5-star-reads
Read from October 18 to 23, 2011

This is the best Sister Fidelma book I've read in years! I love this series because of its authenticity. This book is set in 664 AD and contrary to other books this book is not sequential. Instead we go back to Fidelma just after she has left Rome after solving a puzzling murder there. She is on her way home from Italy, and makes a detour to go to an abbey to visit her old mentor who is dying. Here she finds that her old mentor is grievously injured, and she uncovers a web of murder and lies tied in with the political upheaval occurring in the beautiful valley of Trebbia. This is an "edge of the seat" thriller with Fidelma alone trying to figure out what's going on. She is at a disadvantage because she does not speak the local language and she doesn't know who to trust. This is a wonderful historical mystery series that just keeps on delivering. No wonder that there is an active international Sister Fidelma society! It's hard not to get drawn in to Mr. Tremayne's wonderful ancient world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behold a Pale Horse.