Lily's Reviews > In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

Oct 21, 11

Read from October 01 to 21, 2011

I wasn't very impressed with this book. It was entertaining enough, and I don't mind the time I spent reading, but ... eh.

First of all, Ms. French tended to get a bit verbose in the beginning of the book, which was annoying, but then got more succinct as the book went on, which was also annoying because now it was inconsistent writing. Additionally, she seemed to be fond of using lots and lots of "big words", which in itself is not a bad thing, but when overdone it seems pretentious, like she's trying too hard to impress. There were many occasions when a simpler or more frequently used word would have sufficed just as well. I am glad I read this on my Kindle, because it made it easy to look up the meaning of a word every other page. Intelligence is a wonderful thing, but you can take the display of it too far and end up insulting some readers and alienating others. Or as in my case, annoying them. Speaking of trying too hard, the overuse of current pop culture references and an awkward attempt at young, hip language really cheapened the story and distracted me from it.

Aside from the clunky writing skills/style, the story itself wasn't bad, but it definitely could have been better. It was kind of cliche and predictable. The narrating character, Rob/Adam Ryan, is kind of an asshole, so it makes me wonder what the point is - unless perhaps, that IS the point. Maybe you're supposed to root for his partner, Cassie Maddox. Which I did. But then, why not write it from HER point of view? Who knows.

At least the mystery was decently done, even if it was predictable. There are two different "main stories" running through the book, and they kind of run parallel to one another. One involves the case that the pair of detectives are investigating, and the other involves a case that Rob/Adam Ryan was involved with as a child. The case they are currently investigating is solved by the end of the book, but the case Detective Ryan was involved in as a child was not solved. That bit I found to be quite annoying, as it makes no sense to write a book and then leave your readers without answers towards the end unless you are planning the book to be part of a series - which Ms. French may be planning to do, or has done, I haven't taken the effort to find out.

I will say this much, I checked this book out on my Kindle from my library, and I am really glad it didn't cost me anything to read it. I would not buy this book, personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.