Meg ♥'s Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: e-books, z-2012-reads, favs
Read from February 12 to 20, 2012

Since there are already so many wonderful reviews for this book I'm going to keep this one kind of short. Most of my friends have already read this book, and may be wondering what little old me could possibly add to the endless stream of praise surrounding this book.

Well, I represent the people who have yet to read this book even though it's been out for almost 6 years, and won quite a few awards. Those of us who never read it despite receiving about 6,532 recommendations claiming "You will love this!!" Each of us may have our own reasons to have never given this book a try and mine is simple. I see"World War II" or basically anything history related and think I won't like it. Yes I have never quite gotten over those years of falling asleep in history class. It just was never my thing.

I'm here to tell all of the other naysayers to give this book a shot. This book is phenomenal.

I'm not going to summarize this book because a.) I'm sure everyone already knows what it's about and b.) This little one line synopsis is simply brilliant: It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Once you start reading this book you will definitely not want to put it down. The story instantly travels you back to the time of WWII and holds your attention the whole way through. This book has a little bit of something for everyone. At some points it's haunting, some parts are extremely funny, and then of course there is the unbearably sad and heartbreaking parts as well. You will feel a wide range of emotions reading this.

Great writing, engaging plot, interesting characters that will capture your heart. The narration is amazing and very original.

Truly eye-opening and thought provoking.

5/5 Recommend to everyone who has not read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hi, Meg!:)

Meg ♥ Dustin wrote: "Hi, Meg!:)

Are you enjoying The Book Thief, so far? I haven't read it..yet, but I definitely plan on it someday."

Hey Dustin! I am enjoying it so far, but to be honest I am only 50 pages in. I started it Friday, and had zero time to read this weekend. :-(

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin All right.

Let me know, please.:)

Meg ♥ Dustin wrote: "All right.

Let me know, please.:)"

I'm mad at myself for waiting this long to read this...

Nick Good review for a good book.

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Cressman Very nice dear. I'm one of those few people who didn't read this yet. I may now.

Nandakishore Varma I am one of the very small minority who did not like the book at all. I cannot say why - it just failed to pull me in. It was a fast read, but even towards the end I found myself saying: "So what's the big deal?"

Oh well... maybe the book just wasn't written for me. :(

message 8: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Nice, high praises. I've heard plenty of good things. This came out during my poverty days of college when I would (shamefully) often steal many of my books from bookstores. It caught my attention out of the corner of my eye once, and I felt it was watching me, knowing what I was doing. I felt a terrible guilt and put them back. I've wanted to give this book a read, but at that time it felt like it would be a weird metafiction of my life due to the title ha. Don't tell the Ypsi bookstore... Great review!

Flannery I'm exactly the same way about WWII books--I see that in a blurb and my eyes start to glaze over. It took me a few tries to even get into this but isn't it so worth it? Now we can join the ranks of the people who give dirty looks to people who haven't read it yet. (Kidding!)

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Meg you are yet another reviewer that has reminded me to read this. It has been on my Kindle since 2008.

message 11: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie Me too! Sometimes I really RESIST when dozens of people say "you MUST read this!" thanks to you, I just might, now.

Stephanie Big fan of this book myself.

message 13: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina I am not drawn to war novels either but I think I have to overcome my prejudice and read this. Great review!

Jason I loved this book and it has a quote that stays with me.
“I am haunted by humans.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Meg ♥ Nick wrote: "Good review for a good book."

Thank you very much, Nick!

Meg ♥ Shirley wrote: "Very nice dear. I'm one of those few people who didn't read this yet. I may now."

Thank you! I hope you like it! :-)

message 17: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hi, Meg-

Great review. Thank you.

Meg ♥ s.penkevich wrote: "Nice, high praises. I've heard plenty of good things. This came out during my poverty days of college when I would (shamefully) often steal many of my books from bookstores. It caught my attention ..."

Maybe I'm weird but I see your comment in a strange way. Sad that you stole books, but happy in a way that you love books so much you would steal them instead of like ....I don't know video games or something. You should definitely read this. You might be reminded of your past a little, but it's about so much more than that. :-)

message 19: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea I loved this one -- I didn't want to read it initially; the subject matter/time period just makes me too sad to immerse myself in it for the length of a book. But my daughter read it and loved it, and she just so desperately wanted me to read it so we could share the experience -- and she was right. It was wonderful, and I might just have to pull that book back out and read it again now!

Meg ♥ Flannery wrote: "I'm exactly the same way about WWII books--I see that in a blurb and my eyes start to glaze over. It took me a few tries to even get into this but isn't it so worth it? Now we can join the ranks of..."

Lol! Totally. :-) I actually started this twice and put it down because I was very busy last week, and it was (like you said) taking me some time to get into it at first. I don't think it had anything to do with the book, though...I'm just stubborn and thought I would hate it. Glad I ended up loving it!

Meg ♥ Nina wrote: "I am not drawn to war novels either but I think I have to overcome my prejudice and read this. Great review!"

Thank you for saying that. Like I said in the review I wrote this just for people like you! Everyone who has read it knows how amazing it is, but if I can convince one person who is skeptical (like I was) I will be happy! :-)

Meg ♥ Heidi wrote: "Meg you are yet another reviewer that has reminded me to read this. It has been on my Kindle since 2008."

Whenever you get to it, you won't be disappointed, Heidi! :-)

Meg ♥ Jason wrote: "I loved this book and it has a quote that stays with me.
“I am haunted by humans.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief"

Wow, yeah I just read your review and I thought it was interesting how it was from 2009 and you said "This book moved me from the start to finish and it story is still fresh in my head today month's later."

Two years later and the quotes still stick with you and the story is still memorable. That's great writing! :-)

Meg ♥ Lea wrote: "I loved this one -- I didn't want to read it initially; the subject matter/time period just makes me too sad to immerse myself in it for the length of a book. But my daughter read it and loved it,..."

Yeah. I can understand that. The people like you and I who didn't want to read this initially are who this review is for. I hope I can convince some new people to read this. I don't like overly depressing books either, but I like to feel a powerful range of emotions in a book. If I can laugh and bit and cry a bit I consider it an awesome reading experience!

You're right. I can tell I will reread this one a few times in the future.

Meg ♥ Nandakishore wrote: "I am one of the very small minority who did not like the book at all. I cannot say why - it just failed to pull me in. It was a fast read, but even towards the end I found myself saying: "So what..."

I can understand that completely. I have a few books like that as well. Sometimes I hate a book and I can't even write a review because I have nothing more to say other than "I just wasn't feeling it" :-)

David Hey Meg. I really enjoyed this book too.

Meg ♥ Dustin wrote: "Hi, Meg-

Great review. Thank you."

Thanks, Dustin! I hope you enjoy it whenever you read it! :-)

Tracey I love this book and your review was funny

"Those of us who never read it despite receiving about 6,532 recommendations claiming" .... "Yes I have never quite gotten over those years of falling asleep in history class. It just was never my thing." ;-)

message 29: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Fabulous review, Meghan. I think you were speaking to me about the people who are putting off reading this. You have convinced me to add it to the TBR pile at least!

Meg ♥ Tracey wrote: "I love this book and your review was funny

Aww thank you. I'm glad my exaggerations could amuse you, but as far as history class...that's totally true. My husband LOVES history...He finds it super fascinating, but it bores me. :-/

Meg ♥ Fiona wrote: "Fabulous review, Meghan. I think you were speaking to me about the people who are putting off reading this. You have convinced me to add it to the TBR pile at least!"

Yay! Whenever you get around to reading it I think you won't be disappointed.

message 32: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Meg ♥ wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Hi, Meg-

Great review. Thank you."

Thanks, Dustin! I hope you enjoy it whenever you read it! :-)"

You are welcome, Meg.

And I'm sure I will, whenever I get to it..:)

message 33: by Terri Lynn (new) - added it

Terri Lynn I checked it out from the library Meg and after reading it, I immediately ordered myself a copy from my BOMC 2 where new hardcovers are $9.95 with no shipping cost. I read it late last year and it was love at first read. You have written a wonderful review. I too recommend this to everyone.

Meg ♥ Terri Lynn wrote: "I checked it out from the library Meg and after reading it, I immediately ordered myself a copy from my BOMC 2 where new hardcovers are $9.95 with no shipping cost. I read it late last year and it ..."

Thank you, Terri Lynn. I already can tell this is a book I will reread several times in the future.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book has been on my TBR list for years. Everyone I know loves it, and why it's taken me so long (years) to read it, I'll never know. Lol. Fantastic review, Meg!

Meg ♥ Kristen wrote: "This book has been on my TBR list for years. Everyone I know loves it, and why it's taken me so long (years) to read it, I'll never know. Lol. Fantastic review, Meg!"

Thanks, Kristen. That's exactly how I was. I kept putting it off and putting it off but everyone and their brother was telling me how great it was.

Meg ♥ Mary Elizabeth wrote: "you sold this one !! :)"

Yay! Mostly everyone already knows or thinks this book is amazing, but if I convince anyone else to give this book a try that's a win! :D

message 38: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Have you read any more by him, for some reason we do not appear to have his back catalogue in the uk.

Ashley Welkinawe Great review! And thank you for not summarizing it. That makes me crazy in reviews. It usually gives it all away in a bad movie preview kind of way. I loved this book. It turned me inside out and opened my eyes wider. So lyrical and fierce. Anyway. Thanks.

message 40: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul I just finished this book and I can say it's one o my favorites. I loved everything, specially the writing style. Like you said, it's very original. There were very few elements I didn't enjoy as much, like the description of the sky and its colors. Great review :)