Megan's Reviews > The Prayer Waltz

The Prayer Waltz by K.Z. Snow

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: 4-stars, contemporary-romance, fiction
Read in October, 2011

Grieving writer Steven Brandwein travels to the small town where his enigmatic late lover, Frank, had once served as a Catholic priest. He doesn't know what, exactly, he's looking for, but he searches honestly and with a genuine heart, and in doing so, he connects with Evan, a volunteer at St. Jerome's who at one time also shared a complicated relationship with Frank.

I really liked this book. It was emotionally rich, with satisfyingly complex characters and a believable (if slightly hasty) romantic relationship. Bonus: the protagonists brought out the humor and a little fun in one another, despite the bleakness in their backstories and the tough challenges they still wrestled with. I had teary eyes at one point, and I was smiling with the characters' shared joy at another point. The lack of answers to the puzzle of Frank and his life was believable, and I felt satisfied by how that aspect was wrapped up (loosely, with an eye toward the future). My only gripe is that, despite the first person POV, I felt a little distant from Steven. His emotions were described beautifully, but I didn't feel as connected to them, or to him. I didn't always have a good grasp of who he was outside of the loss that had shaped him, and even if that dimension of him was enjoyably complex, it still left me wanting to know more about who he was beyond that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prayer Waltz.