Ruby's Reviews > Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: teen, young-adult, mystery
Read in January, 2012

This review was first posted on http://www.rubysreads.com.

I adored this book. It was sent to me by the publisher, but it sat on my bookshelf for a long time until I picked it up on a whim. And, boy, am I glad I did. It's light, frothy and humorous, but with a good mystery. From page one, I was hooked. Honestly--once I picked it up I didn't put it down again until I was finished. And when I did finish, I shot straight to my email to query the author about setting up an interview.
Deadly Cool's greatest strength is its characters. I like Hartley plenty--she comes off as a teen you'd like to know--but even better is her best friend, Sam. Not to mention her possible new love interest, Chase. You gotta love a high school boy who has the self-confidence to wear eyeliner. Plus, there's a visible parent! With actual speaking appearances! YA books get points based on that fact alone.
As wonderful as the characters were, I also enjoyed the writing. It had a teen "voice" without coming across as juvenile or immature. Halliday's sense of humor was just right--funny but not over the top. I'm ready and raring to try out the light romantic suspense she writes for adults.
Let me address the romance for a moment. First of all, romance is rather too strong a word. In a nice departure from most teen novels at the moment, this is not a story of insta-love. It's a mystery first and foremost, with the possibility of romance in the future. I really, really appreciated this, not least because I'm a fan of slow-burn romance. The fact the Halliday doesn't make Deadly Cool about Hartley's move from her loser boyfriend to her "perfect match" does more to make her book stand out amongst than the most paranormal twist out there.
Basically, run out and get this book. You need to read it in time for Social Suicide. It comes out in April, so you've got a little time.
5 Points:
I would move in with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Cool.