Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥'s Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

This was better than the first one, IMO. The story and romance were set at a far better pace. There was just enough of each at proper intervals to keep it fresh, and nothing was confusing about it like in the first one. Although I'm still not sure what Valentine's motives are for everything he has done to Jace (I know some spoilers), I still somewhat understand Valentine better as a character now than I did in the first book. The whole ending of the first was too confusing. But this one I could follow. It just felt far more structured. My only complaint is how things ended between Jace and Clary. But, things seemed far more hopeless at the end of the first and they still managed to have lots of great progress in the second. So I assume they will managed to fit more into the third. I know how it ends, but its not all about the ending. They have to keep us going with all the little things that happen in between, so here is hoping.

Oh, and one more complaint. Why did no one consider doing a DNA test? They could have compared Jace to Jocelyn or Clary. I am sure the Clave has the resources. Not only would I have insisted if I were Clary, but it would have made their investigation of Jace easier, to find out if he really were Valentine's son. They really had no reason to take Valentine's word for it, and a DNA test just seems so obvious to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

10/30/2011 page 248
55.0% "I am liking this better than the first so far. More angsty."