Tommy's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oct 17, 2011

Read in October, 2011

Reread for the first time since soph year in high school. I thought about only giving it 4 stars but felt a bit pretentious doing so, and went ahead with 5.

I do believe part of the appeal and inclusion in the "Mandatory School Lit Canon" is its relatively short length, accessibility and somewhat critical look at the excesses of youth. The thoughts, length and sentence structure are rather direct and simplistic. I was also surprised upon post-read reflection how Bonfire of Vanities felt like a more complex, modern, grown-up version of the same story.

The above thoughts in no way are meant to denigrate the overall value and enjoyment of this work, or mean I enjoyed Bonfire more - the characters in Bonfire are less likable and it dragged at times so I actually didn't.

The imagery and language in Gatsby is at times amazing and very enjoyable. For me, all of the characters continue to have that ephemeral quality to them, and yet don't exactly leave me cold as characters do in other works. It somehow works well for me. I also think this stands up better than some other works I had to read in high school and enjoyed.

So if you've never read it, do it! If it's been a while, it's a good late summer/early fall read. It's one of the easiest classics to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.