David's Reviews > We Bought a Zoo

We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee

M_50x66
Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: adult-nonfiction, autobiography

We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Changed Their Lives Forever by Benjamin Mee is a look at a family that decides to buy a zoo and raise their family on that property, but also ends up dealing with the tragedy of the brain tumor and death of Mrs. Katherine Mee.

The story is interesting, poignant and bittersweet. It focuses on the rundown zoo, an ecletic staff and a wide variety of animals, some of which were in detereorating enclosures. It was very interesting at times, but also bogged down at other times. There was a lot of repetition. A great deal of time is spent concerning the bureaucratic details that had to be dealt with regarding regulations and financing. The details of Katherine's illness and death are tragic and sad. The parts about the animals are the most interesting and fascinating. There are interesting animal facts and details about their care.

I would have preferred to have more animal photographs, more pictures of the zoo, and a map or arieal view of the zoo to give context to the text. As fascinating as the big cats are, I would have enjoyed hearing many more details about other animals.

We bought a Zoo was entertaining and interesting enough for me to complete reading it and give it a 3 out of 5 stars. If I ever travel to that area of England I would definitely visit this zoo.

For those interested in zoos, animals, memoirs, and fans of Benjamin Mee.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Bought a Zoo.