Zephaniah's Reviews > The Caine Mutiny

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk

M_50x66
Jan 07, 12

Read from October 17 to November 20, 2011

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk is probably one of his best works. It greatly interprets the emotions and feelings that would arise in the given situtation. I would recommend it to most people, especially if they are interested in the World War 2 Navy. I would also recommend it to ones interested in the navy itself.
I enjoyed the book in that it was the first book I have seen that I think correctly shows what the navy was like. It was able to amazingly show what being on a minesweeper in the mid-40s would have been like. The author did a good job of making the main characters very round, but there are plenty of flat characters to support them. The writing of the actual relief (or mutiny, it depends on how you look at it) was amazing. I found myself reading it over and over. Some bad qualities of the book was the long, slow parts of the book, that one wishes will move on so we can get to the next exciting part. I feel this makes readers that are not as committed to reading the book, give up halfway through. I know I felt at one point that I should just turn it back in. I would have liked the trial to have been expanded more. I feel it was a pivotal section of the book and it went by too quickly, I would have liked to see interactions out of the courtroom.
Overall though, it was a superbly written book and like I said, one of Wouk's best. The last US mutiny took place in the 19th Century, it asks what would a modern mutiny be like, it paints a scary picture for us of what it would probably look like nowadays. It was marvelous book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Caine Mutiny.