Lindsey's Reviews > Venetia

Venetia by Georgette Heyer

Oct 17, 2011

did not like it

Any book that's supposed to be based in the Victorian era that ends with a, "I don't expect you to change for me, you can continue to have your orgies or whatever they're called" is a FAIL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venetia.

01/24 marked as: read

message 1: by Lamington (new)

Lamington Any review that mistakes the Victorian era for the Regency era is a FAIL.

message 2: by Marianna (last edited Jan 25, 2017 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marianna Green I am reading round the reviews of this because I am doing some research which explores how Heyer's very consensus based depiction of class and sex relations strongly influences popular understanding of what constitutes the Regency era.

I have so far read fifteen of Heyer's books, this being one.

Yes, they are only light escapism, bearing as much resemblance to the historical reality of that age as the Bertie Wooster stories do to the UK of the depression in which part of them are set - but a surprising number of readers - particularly those who are not from the UK - seem to take them seriously as historical depictions because they contain minute descriptions of dress, the upper class social round etc.

I am intrigued that sometimes on here, and more frequently on Amazon, some Heyer fans seem to respond heatedly to negative reviews of her works, as Lamington does here. I have even heard that some readers are reluctant to post highly critical reviews, for fear of a backlash. I am puzzled as to why avid Heyer fans read negative reviews of her works, unless they are doing research themselves.