Brian's Reviews > Insurgent

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read on April 21, 2012

Initial thoughts:

Wow. I have too many thoughts to put together right now, but wow. It's been a while since I just took 11 hours and dedicated them to reading a book. Worth it. Totally worth it. Better review to come in the next couple days.

Whole review (originally posted on Wyz Reads):

“One choice can destroy you.” Well, Ms. Roth, I chose to read your latest, Insurgent, in more or less one sitting this past Saturday. That which did not [destroy] me has only made me stronger.

I was extremely fortunate to receive an ARC of this wonderful book courtesy of my sister classroom teacher Mrs. Heise, who blogs over at http://heisereads.blogspot.com/ (go check it out — you will not be disappointed. I’ll wait here for your return). Thank you again!

So, the book. My initial response was, simply, “wow.” There is so much to love about this book. Before you read on, be aware that this review is entirely spoiler-free for Insurgent. I’m trying to also remain spoiler-free for Divergent, but there may be some links you don’t want to click. Such as the two in the next paragraph.

We pick up right where we left off at the end of Divergent. Seriously, right where we left off. Ms. Roth posted a wonderful help for that today right here, so go check that out before you read Insurgent. Since that didn’t exist for me, I relied on the Divergent Wiki, which did prove pretty helpful as well.

Tris and her gang are heading around, trying to find answers for what happened at the end of Divergent, as well as come up with a plan of action going forward. This involves them going places they’ve never been, and meeting new and old friends along the way. I really don’t want to go into more detail than this, but just know that it is full of the same breathless action as the first book.

Personally, I love this book. It takes my breath away (present tense, even though I read it four days ago). I had too many crazy predictions along the way to share here, some of which came true and some of which didn’t. I was angry (with the events of the book; the characters; and, at times, the author), I was happy, I was scared, I was rejoicing, I was even a little turned on (there are some fairly hot, but fully appropriate, moments). TMI? Maybe. But the thing is, this book really ran the gamut of emotions.

But the whole time, it’s a freight train barreling ahead. These emotions are fully present and fully experienced, but the book never stops moving forward. It’s a wonderful mix of action and emotion.

The writing style is great in this book, too. I wasn’t expecting that. It started sort of. . .I dunno, okay, I guess. But by about 10 chapters in, it really began to. . .I guess I’d say it began to mature, in a way. By the end of the book, it was as if I was reading a master’s work. And I truly believe I was.

There’s a lot more I’d like to talk about here, but I don’t want to spoil anything. I do want to go on the record saying that I absolutely loved the ending. A lot of people, I think, might not. Whatever. They can go read something else. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Thank you, Ms. Roth, for this. I can’t wait to buy it and share it with my students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

04/21/2012 page 87

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Do you love it? Do you love it?

Brian Shh! I'm trying to read here!

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan How are you already reading it??? *jealous!*

Jillian Heise I'm pretty sure your initial thoughts are pretty close to.what mine were out here right when I finished it....and I'm sure many more will be too once they finish it.

Sarah (YA Love) Yep, I think ours are the same. And my student who just finished it yesterday had the same thoughts. :)

Laura Oh, I am jealous! I can't wait to read it.

message 7: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire V I think i speak for all of your students when I say YES WAAAAY TMI!!!

Maria I'm just starting it now! Whoo hoo!