Abigail's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Dec 07, 12

bookshelves: classics, favorites, own, books-that-impacted-me
Read from November 15 to 24, 2012

This book is a classic for a reason. I love Jane's character and seeing her grow and mature. Her relationships with people are what keeps the plot moving, that and the love interest, Mr. Rochester. The characters were extremely well written, and the story was told beautifully.
Even though I cannot relate with Jane (I have very loving parents and I don't work as a governess), I still throughly enjoyed reading about her. Mr. Rochester is one of my favorite male characters now... sigh. I liked how he wasn't handsome, he had a good sense of humor, and was an ideal "mate" for Jane. Of course he had faults... but thats a good thing! It kept the story real.

I love this book, and really recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Abigail Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Thank you, Mr. Rochester, for your great kindness. I am strangely glad to get back again to you: and wherever you are is my home—my only home.”

Charlotte Brontë
“Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”

Charlotte Brontë
“Gentle reader, may you never feel what I then felt! May your eyes never shed such stormy, scalding, heart-wrung tears as poured from mine. May you never appeal to Heaven in prayers so hopeless and so agised as in that hour left my lips: for never may you, like me, dread to be the instrument of evil to what you wholly love.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Even for me life had its gleams of sunshine.
“Even for me life had its gleams of sunshine.”

Charlotte Brontë
“You — you strange — you almost unearthly thing! — I love as my own flesh. You — poor and obscure, and small and plain as you are — I entreat to accept me as a husband.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I have for the first time found what I can truly love–I have found you. You are my sympathy–my better self–my good angel–I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I knew, you would do me good, in some way, at some time;- I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you: their expression and smile did not- (again he stopped)- did not (he proceeded hastily) strike delight to my very inmost heart so for nothing. ”

Charlotte Brontë
“It is a long way to Ireland, Janet, and I am sorry to send my little friend on such weary travels: but if I can't do better, how is it to be helped? Are you anything akin to me, do you think, Jane?"

I could risk no sort of answer by this time: my heart was still.

"Because, he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous channel, and two hundred miles or so of land some broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, - you'd forget me.”

Charlotte Brontë
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

Charlotte Brontë
“He was the first to recognise me, and to love what he saw.”

message 1: by Lāel (new) - added it