Sierra's Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Nov 22, 11

bookshelves: myth

BEST Percy book to date! Rick Riordan really did his research. I am so amazed at how effortlessly he blends ancient myths and modern culture together in each of these books. I especially liked this installment, because we finally got to see the Roman camp. Ok, I will be the first person to admit that I know very little about the Rome, but I have spent over five years studying Latin and I couldn’t see any errors in Riordan’s mythology.

The descriptions of the camp and the legion really fascinated me; Riordan did an excellent job describing the different temples and the distinction between the military camp and the city, Oh, and he even added a little Tiber. I wish Percy had spent more time in the camp before heading out on the quest.

I liked Percy’s companions, Hazel and Frank. Although I was a bit skeptical about them in the beginning (Frank appeared to be a woose and there was just something off about Hazel), both of them turned out to be interesting and well rounded. Actually, they both did better on their first quests than Percy did looking for the lightning bolt. Speaking of Percy, I was expecting him to take center stage in this book, but I was wrong. He had an active part in the book but he let Hazel and Frank shine too.

Definitely cannot wait for the sequel. The one thing that really irritated me about this book was the cut off ending. It wasn’t a cliff hanger, but still something very cool was about to happen. O Well I guess I just have to wait another year.

I would recommend this book to just about anyone. It is a good read, with a few unpredictable turns, and likable characters all wrapped up in a well researched and very funny world. Just make sure and start with the first book, The Lightning Thief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.