Erin's Reviews > Aloha from Hell

Aloha from Hell by Richard Kadrey

Jan 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

Not as engaging as the other books in this series. The ending was a letdown...I can't say too much without spoiling it, but while I always knew hew would take that position, the 'departure' from his life was a surprising letdown.

Sandman Slim just didn't seem...well, like Sandman in this one. I didn't really feel a sense of his rage, anger, or any of the strings of emotions we've come to expect. Although, in this one, his emotions tend to be flatlined, mediocre, with an almost "I don't care" on the side as he realizes he does actually care what happens to people, I just feel it brought down the story. I kept waiting for it to get interesting, but even the fight between Heaven and Hell was no nondescript..you think that would have been huge.

Deaths of major characters just happen, out of sight. I just feel that people and issues were tied up quickly & neatly in one of two sentences, but deserved much more - it left me as a reader lacking any way to get into the story. It just seemed flat, and what seems to be a let down of what was becoming to be a very interesting and exciting series.

I just hope this isn't the end of the series. I want to see how he pulls off his new gig without being the person he's used to being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aloha from Hell.