Timothy Meixell's Reviews > Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength

Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

Oct 17, 2011

did not like it

While somewhat imaginative, this trilogy is stupid. That's right, I said stupid. The characters are boring, and the inner musings of Ransom compare to those of any toddler exposed to the same circumstances.

You know what? I take back saying that it was imaginative. Lewis couldn't think of his own alien worlds, so he copy/pasted some christian mythology and then added some pretty scenery. He couldn't think of a good main character so he grabbed some dull professor (surprise!) and crammed him on to a ship that is capable of both traveling to other worlds, and staying completely secret from the rest of society. Right. Secret knowledge, available to only one person, which proves that a creative force is responsible for the creation of all planets and life. Where have I heard THAT one before?

If you have a hard on for Jesus, shit for brains, and can't sit through a book unless it at least distantly relates to christianity, this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Well...it's true that one can't appreciate this trilogy with a strictly materialist worldview. At least you read it in the first place, if only obviously the first book.

Timothy Meixell Don Incognito wrote: "Well...it's true that one can't appreciate this trilogy with a strictly materialist worldview. At least you read it in the first place, if only obviously the first book."

I read all three books. The chronicles of narnia showed imagination, and I enjoyed them despite my materialism. These books mostly didn't, in my opinion. It's funny to me that you mention materialism, seeing as most of the story consists of fantasies of what a materialist empiricist would consider evidence for the supernatural. He's imagining what it would look like to have tangible evidence of god, as an escape from a world where there isn't any.

message 2: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito Sorry, I couldn't tell from the review whether you had read Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. Do you want there to be no tangible evidence for God? And I appreciate that you haven't sworn at or insulted me.

Timothy Meixell I understand that this isn't a yes or no answer to your question, but it is the only one I have.

I stopped wanting the world to be any particular way a long time ago. I'm done trying to find evidence for things after I believe in them instead of before. To quote Richard Feynman: “I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong.”

I hope that others with a similar mindset who speak to you remain somewhat respectful. It wouldn't be meaningful for me to apologize for them, so I won't. Keep I mind though, when speaking to them, that a viewpoint does not in itself constitute an insult. I'm not saying that you've ever made that mistake, I don't know you, but it is a useful thing to keep in mind on both sides of this and other debates.