~Tina~'s Reviews > Double Clutch

Double Clutch by Liz Reinhardt

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: e-book, young-adult, contemporary, read-2011
Read from October 17 to 18, 2011

Do you think it's possible that one person, the right person, can make you better know matter what your past was like?
I believe it can happen and Double Clutch is a great example of exactly that.

Brenna Blixen is the new girl in town, but it doesn't take long before a guy...or two are competing for her heart. Brenn is a great character, totally knows how to handle her own, knows what she wants and she'll be damned before anyone tells her otherwise. I respect that in a character. She also has quite the delimma since she's attracted to two very appealing boys.
Lets meet the boys. Jake Kelly has a shady past, but he's open and honest with Brenn. He's sweet and kind. He's good for her and she's good for him. Mr.Right. Safe.
His rivial? Former best friend Saxon Maclean. Full of issues and sarcasm, tough and rough, makes toxic intoxication and would put a snake charmer to shame.
But these boys have there own sordid history which makes it harder for Brenna since she feels like she's in the middle. She cares for both guys, ultimately picks one but lying about how she feels about the other. This is story of who you should be with and who your scared to want to be with. It's a story about love. Complicated...messy...real, exactly what love is suppose to look and feel like when your new and young.

At first I struggled with this book in the beginning, but as it started to unfold it was pretty hard to not fall for these characters. I had a really hard time picking which guy to root for since they are both really really great guys.
Jake has a lot of smooth swoon-worty moves and the things that he and Brenn explore was tasteful and sexy.
But then there's Saxon who is totally my kind of guy. Funny, witty, a total bad boy and definitely earned a few warm smirks along the way. But it's when he finally shows his true colors that really made my heart go out to him. It means more coming from him somehow which makes it more bittersweet.

Liz Reinhardt does a really great job of writing a realistic and convincing book filled with angst, jealousy and the complexity of young love. Say what you want about love triangles but when done right it could be one of the most alluring elements in literature. Liz did it right. She nailed that flavor of being confused and conflicted. I also liked that my affections weren't so easily placed. These boys both come with emotional baggage but they are both just as genuine when it comes to how they feel for Brenn. It reminded me of when I was young and in love for the first time. The late night phone calls, going to the movies, introducing you to friends and then there's the physical part and how explosive it feels for the first time with someone you actually care about. Due to some of those heated scenes I think this book is more for the mature reader. It's not overly graphic but it might make some uncomfortable, so be warned.
I also really liked that I had to guess which guy was the real-deal since they would play off versions of one another to Brenn and it was tough to figure out what story was the truth. It also has a neat little twist in the end, nothing overly heavy, but enough to tangle things up even more in later books.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself with this one. It took me back to a time and place I haven't remembered in a long time. First love is a powerful emotion and when your attracted and scared to want something else it makes it even more crazy, especially when that person has so much potential and yet you seem to be the only one who knows it.
It's quite the intriguing situation and I'm really looking forward to seeing how things play out for Brenna, Jake and Saxon in the next book.

Good stuff!

Special thanks to Liz for giving me the opportunity to read and review your story. There's a sequel right?;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Clutch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Reinhardt Of course there's a sequel! Haha! And I'd love for you to read it when it comes out! Thank you so much for your awesome review and all the kind words about Double Clutch! I appreciate your honesty and your detailed review!!

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Great review Tina! I'm looking forward to reading this one! :) So glad you enjoyed it.

~Tina~ Yay's!! Sequel! Thanks again Liz! And your very welcome, it was a fun read:)

Thanks Arlene! I hope you enjoy this as well:D

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Awesome review Tina! I will have to add this one to my tbr =)

~Tina~ Thanks hun!!

Jessica Awesome review!! I totally agree with everything you said.

Jessica And thank God there will be a sequel!! I can't wait!

~Tina~ Jess! You read it! Yay's! So glad you agree and liked it:)
Looking forward to the sequel!:)

Wendy Darling Agreed--it was super cute. :) Nicely reviewed, Miss Tina!

~Tina~ Thankies!:) It was pretty adorable. I need to get my hands on book two after Christmas:)

Wendy Darling I just finished the sequel, Tina--I'm curious what you will think of it. I'm really glad book three is going to be out in just a few months.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review Tina! This sounds really good :)

~Tina~ This is a you book babe ^^ I just know it is:)