Ekaterina's Reviews > Pygmalion

Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

Oct 17, 11

That is a beautifully written play. I have watched this play recently in the theater, and I thought it was magnificent. Eliza was simply adorable and Henry Higgins made me laugh so hard. I will not spoil the book by blabbering about its content and the flow of events, but I just wanted to comment and give my opinion about the ending. I love endings like the one in this story. It is like the author is giving you the chance to create your own ending, thus letting you develop your imagination. I used to find such endings a nuisance, irritating, especially if I happened to be deeply absorbed with the book. I believe if it were to the author, George Bernard Shaw, I think the book would've ended with Ms. Doolittle not marrying Mr.Higgins. But as a woman who loves happy endings in love stories and sincerely believes that love conquers all and there are still "real men" in this world ( & since happy endings in reality are so rare!), I do think that the book would've ended with Ms.Doolittle marrying Mr.Higgins. But I think if it did end happily and oh-so-unrealistically, the whole point of the story and the evident inequality between people during those days wouldn't have not been clearly seen and understood. And,let us not forget: what were the chances of a gentleman marrying a flower lady during those days? Let us just say very low.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmalion.

Quotes Ekaterina Liked

George Bernard Shaw
“I sold flowers. I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me I'm not fit to sell anything else.”
George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion

George Bernard Shaw
“You know well I couldn't bear to live with a low common man after you two; and it's wicked and cruel of you to insult me by pretending I could.”
George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion