Andrew's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Oct 17, 11

Read from October 13 to 16, 2011

A very aptly titled book: Sebold has the lovely bones of a story but fails dismally to flesh them out, with the result being the reanimated corpse of a book that lurches along at a zombie's pace. Many of the characters are obnoxious, the narrator is precocious, and the book made me laugh out loud in all the wrong places.

Everything was very lovely, but it wasn't good. It was just cloying.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I was howling when the icicle fell on the guy's head.

Andrew Rooney wrote: "I was howling when the icicle fell on the guy's head."

I had already forgotten about that! I was too busy trying to erase the statutory ghost rape from my memory. Poor Ray Singh - the only likeable character and he ends up balls deep in ectoplasm.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That scene was like that episode of pokemon where Ash "dies," becomes a ghost, and him and Gengar try to molest Misty! Also gengar would make a much better narrator.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol is it true that in the book, heaven is like high school, only with prettier cheerleaders?

Andrew Carol wrote: "is it true that in the book, heaven is like high school, only with prettier cheerleaders?"

Can't remember the cheerleaders, but kind of! Susie's heaven is based on what she wants and has fond feelings for, so the high school she would have gone to is what a lot of it looks like. The descriptions of her heaven really conjure up such a woolly, barfy version of the afterlife that it made me nauseous. At a guess I'd also say that for her, heaven is watching her death's collateral damage take its toll on her family and friends for OVER A DECADE. It's just such a gross mix of sappy sentimentality and po-faced hypergrief.

I almost want to recommend this book to people because it's so manipulative and silly, but I realise that I'm very stubborn when it comes to bad entertainment and will stick with something a lot longer than most.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol hahahah. My capacity for bad entertainment is currently held prisoner by X factor clips of Johnny Robinson in a kimono but I'll keep this one in mind for a rainy day.

Andrew Johnny Robinson in a kimono