Jade Nguyen's Reviews > Tuesday

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Oct 17, 11

1. { Genre }: Other

2. { Summary }: Tuesday evening, 8:00AM - frogs fly through the sky. When morning breaks the magic of the night disappears and the frogs return to their home.

3a. { Area for comment }: Composition

3b. { Critique }:
The composition of Tuesday is its best feature. Each page is a gradual progression of events that seem to surprise and humor its audience. Wiesner’s magnifying technique within his illustrations is also a strong characteristic of the title.

3c. { Critique Example }:

Although the dark colors of Tuesday may assume a dreary context, Wiesner successfully takes the night and manifests it into something magical and intriguing. Some key moments in this text that brought the light out from the dark was the comical expressions on the frogs faces. For example of page 6, the frogs have just reached their first destination and one has discovered how to fly upside down. This frogs mouth is wide open with a slight smile as is eyes shine with amazement. The second example is on page 11 in which one frog has unknowingly flown into a hanging sheet. This frog surprises himself as his arms and hands spread wide open. The sheet has somehow surrounded his entire body. The fact that this would never happen and Wiesners approach to embedding authenticity within each page makes it all the more ludicrous (in the most positive way). The final example is Wiesner’s magnifying technique which can be found on page 5, 6, 12 and 13. This approach is creative in the sense that Wiesner is able to provide both the general landscape of the setting as well as the up-close details. It’s an ingenious way to present a wordless title to all audiences.

4. { Curriculum Connection }:
I utilized Tuesday as one of my titles for my literature sharing assignment. I used Tuesday to either engage their knowledge of time or how to tell time. For students who can’t yet read or are having trouble reading, I would definitely recommend Wiesner’ wordless books. His books provide so much inspiration to imagine and create that even a child who couldn’t read would benefit from. For example, showing this book to a Pre-K student could enhance their communication skills per page. There’s so much to talk about in Wiesner’s book - time of day, feelings, destination, setting. There’s nothing minimalistic about the way Wiesner approaches his story-telling. There’s no limitation in which Wiesner draws attention to detail and creates wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Nice job on this review, Jade. I haven't seen this book, but I know I like the author. I am in a kindergarten class, and the students love my watch. I was trying to talk to them about telling time, but they were not too excited about it. I think I will look for this book to share with them this week =) Thanks!

Ashley This is a book I have never heard of before but iit sounds great! Wordless books generally have to have some unique and engaging quality that can draw a reader in without language to help. That is difficult! I cannot wait to read this now. I am in a practicum with older children, but I still think this would be useful because they can pick out story elements that are "hidden" and think outside the box. Thanks for sharing!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Delauri I am surprised that I have not read this book yet, because I love Weisner's illustrations. This is definitely on my to-read list now especially after reading your awesome curriculum connections!