Phaedra's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, nook
Read in October, 2011

I had been thinking I wasn't going to read these... to be honest the premise didn't sound all that interesting to me and it sounds like a rehash of 'The Lottery' mixed with the idea of the Athenian tribute with teenagers. However, my husband runs a movie theater and when I heard it was being turned into a movie, well things change. He almost always asks me what was different between book and movie, so I decided to read it.

My first impression is that Katniss seems like such a Mary Sue. People just seem to love her, when she does crazy stupid things it turns out to benefit her, etc. But I kind of liked her because at her core, Katniss is a survivor. If it won't help her she's willing to to deal with it harshly. She's also ever so slightly clueless about some things, but it makes her endearing because everything else goes so well for her.

While Katniss is well fleshed out, her world isn't. I'm not sure if that is because it's meant to be a teen book and, really, what teenager wants to read about economics and politics? I'm sure there are some, but that isn't what most kids want from their fantasy novel. The characters are interesting even though you know that most of them are going to die. I was surprised at how graphic some of the death scenes in what I considered a kids book. I do applaud the author for not shying away from the deaths as they were a central plot point, skimming over them would have made the book feel shallow.

I'm curious where the next two books are going to go because it seems like the author is setting these teenagers up to be part of a revolution. However, with the information that's been given it seems like an impossible task. It'll be interesting to see if the books stay this engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.